Pages

Sunday 19 October 2014

Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black

 Rating: 3.5/5 stars



“There’s nothing like breaking things to lift a girls spirits when she’s had a lousy day. I’ve been having a lot of lousy days lately.”
I have to say, the first sentence is what really drew me into the book and decided to make me give this book a shot. There were a lot of things that I liked and disliked about this so I’ll jump right into it: I loved all the mythology in the book!
I’ve always studied mythology but have always been more of a Norse fan I still really enjoyed having the mythology in there, even in such a simple way as mentioning who each character was descended from. The novel jumps right into the plot, and everything was understandable enough for someone (like me) to jump into the series without even realizing that it was the second novel in the series, I was quickly 4 chapters in, then 10, without even realizing it.
The case information is simple yet enough and didn’t draw out too long, sometimes when I read books that are working with some sort of case I find that the author goes in to too much details with it and I just end out getting confused. I liked that we got to see how the case got pieced together, and why.

That being said there were a few things I didn’t like. Examples include: The Emma was treated, she is meant to come off as a villain and I could see why, but our main character, Nikki’s, reaction to it almost made her seem like the villain, it also irked me that the writer liked to bring up how ‘gorgeous’ Emma was, it didn’t feel needed after the second time, and annoying after that. Plus, I didn't really understand why the author was doing it... like was it supposed to make Emma seem like more of a bitch just because she was pretty?
I also felt like the entire novel was drawn out, and some detail carries on a little too long for my liking.... And finally, I felt like the main conflict should have been a side conflict. I kept waiting for the main conflict to arise, but it never came. Overall I found the climax, well, unclimatic.  

I scanned a couple websites for reviews and noticed that most people say the first was better, though I can’t say I have much of an interest to know what happened before this book but I am considering giving it a try. And I would check out a third book for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment