Pages

Friday 12 December 2014

Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin

4 out 5 stars

Fear sucks. 
The cover said that the action was nonstop which really was made me decide to give this a shot and after reading the prologue I was sold! It was great but Chapter 1 quickly deflated any excitement I'd had from the  prologue.
There were some sentences I had to read two or three times to get and some of the writing was just… odd.
By the end of the second chapter I wasn't sure how I felt about the characters and even by the end of the book I wasn't sure, nor was I attached to anyone . I also wasn't a fan of the fact that there was no back ground on the love interest blossoming. It seemed to jump right into the main character checking the hero out and lusting over him but had no mention of a previous crush/lusting even though they have been working side by side (almost 24/7) for the past 6 months.
Some aspects of this novel felt… cluttered, forced and long winded. Over all the book left me unsatisfied. Even 100 pages into the book I felt like it was just beginning and I had to will myself to keep reading it. Hell, even with 100 pages left I felt like we were just getting into the novel
Lastly, I didn't like the way the  book ended. It's not that it ended badly, but I didn't feel emotionally gratified when it ended. I felt like there was still more to be told.


Alright so there were a lot of things I didn't like about this book but I still gave it a 4 star review… and here is why:
As much as I felt like this was 335 pages of set up, I mostly enjoyed it. No I didn't have any emotional attachment to the characters and I could have easily put the book down and forgotten about it but I think I would have thought about it in 5 years and wondered why I didn't finish it.
I'm not sure what it was about this book that I actually liked but something in me said "This is 4 stars." I know for sure that I will be giving the second book in the series a shot- I just hope I enjoy it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment