Pages

Friday 5 December 2014

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Digging graves is hell on a manicure, but I was taught good vampires cleaned up after every meal.
The first chapter pulled me in. I loved it!
The name of this book left me tentative to read it. I'm not sure what it was about it… but the title just sounded… so un-hooking. It didn't draw me in or make me want to read it. The only reason I grabbed it from the Library was, well, I knew I would need more books than I had. But the first chapter, oh my! That drew me in like honey draws bears.
The first page was great. The first sentence hooked me and drew me in like the snap of a finger.
But… and yes there is a but, I started to find it lacking after a couple chapters.
There is a small bit about Lilith and Cain (from the bible)  in there, I really liked that but the whole thing got me wondering about vampires. It says that all vampires have red hair, but it didn't go into much detail about how vampires are created. If they are born that way or can be turned. And what would happen to someone without red hair if they were turned into a vampire?
That being said  I really like the bars and how they played an importance, as well as the way they mixed blood and booze.

As for as characters go… I like Adam, he was a fun character probably my favorite, not that there were really many characters to pick from- but sometimes a small cast is best.
I can't really say I liked or disliked many others. They were all just "meh" but when it comes to the main character, Sabrina was… well she was alright. She wasn't annoying, she stupid but there was something very lifeless about her. I just can't place my finger on it. Maybe it was the lack of emotional variety she seemed to show.

I didn't quite feel like information was given quickly enough but I really liked the idea of the plot.
I liked the first meeting of Giguhl but I didn't like the conversation. It felt immature, lacking and like it was just being used to fill pages. Actually, I found a lot of the conversation with Giguhl and Sabina very immature and almost "forced" to seem like a fight, and slightly long/pointless, I like Giguhl. He was actually one of the reasons I kept reading this book, but I feel like his frequent use of "You're a real bitch" in conversation is just used to make it seem like the two are not supposed to like each other.


Okay, now that I've nit picked every single little thing... I finally got drawn in at the end. I’m not even sure why but something just snapped and suddenly I wanted to know what happened next, I got so drawn in that I plan on reading the next book- Actually I just finished putting a hold on it at the library 

No comments:

Post a Comment