Pages

Tuesday 18 November 2014

A Valedictorian by Ellis Friedman



Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


An Oreo. 
The sound of copying machines was like an Oreo. the mechanical soprano buzz sandwiching the sound of a train clacking by.

So, the other day I had just finished writing a review for Working for the Devil and I was wondering what I would read next, after all I have a few things I could start but I decided to stop at the mail first. I was expecting a lot of stuff but I was not expecting a new book! 
Turns out, I won a giveaway I'd entered a couple weeks but and this was what I received. 

The book was god but it starts slow and I felt like it took a while to even bring the reader to something that seemed to somewhat related to the story. Even 30 pages into it I felt a little like it was still getting started. More than that, I felt like it was all just one beginning then ending. Like there was no middle
I would have loved to see a major conflict but didn't feel like I saw that.
The major thing I didn't like about this is that the writing was a little confusing. Things like flash backs not being italic-ed .
The ending disappointed me. I felt that it ended suddenly and would have liked to see July and Toby at least talk about their relationship before the book ended (though I am a romance reader and always want a HFN). It… felt lacking and left me a little annoyed that I didn't get to see what Toby was thinking when he up and left like that.
Oh, and July seemed a tad bit over-understanding in the beginning, maybe this was because she was trying or maybe she really is that nice of a girl.

A Valedictorian had it's cute moments, it had its moments that made me smile and the romance moved along nicely
Over all, I have to admit that this probably wasn't really my kind of book, but there were many amazing elements to it.

As much as I have some bad things to say about this book, the fact of the matter is that I couldn't put it down, and when I did I wanted to pick it back up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment