Pages

Friday 14 November 2014

Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow

I read this book for the first time when I was about 12. I wanted it to be one of the first books I reviewed because of that, and because it has always been on my top shelf. A shelf reserved for the books I most love.
The story starts fallows Dante Valentine as she is contacted by the Devil, given a job (which she has a personal stake in) and all the drama ensues.
I have to say, the novel starts off well! It jumps right into the action and quickly got me wondering what would happen next. It was one of those books that I read through quickly, in less than 24 hours, and was surprised to see that I was already at chapter 10 when I finally put it down to find a snack.

Rating: 4 and 1/2 out of 5

<B>My working relationship with Lucifer began on a rainy Monday.</b>
is a necromancer and bounty hunter, and when the Devil contacts her for the job he gives her a demon familiar (who also has a personal stake in this). I love the way the paranormal are handled in this series though I found myself getting confused with some of the words the author invented. Thankfully there is a Glossary at the back of the book!
As a character I like Dante. She is fun, amusing and I enjoy fallowing her stories, but Dante can be mean, rude and plain out hurtful towards Jaf, and kinda everyone else.
She seems so upset that Jaf is helping her with this case because he wants his freedom. Like he is some bad guy for wanting her to stay alive because he doesn't want to work for the Devil anymore- This comes off as so selfish and childish to me.
Also, she can be pretty childish, what with the stomping, mood changes with the snap of a finger and the hissyfits. It was kinda confusing.

When it comes to side characters I have to say that the author does an amazing job! Doreen seems like such a beautiful character. I think it was Dante's attachment to her that really made me feel for her.
Gabe and Eddie have a beautiful relationship and were one of the things that kept me smiling throughout the book. Jace, the ex-lover, has always been one of my favorite characters. He can be annoying, but I feel like there is so much to love about him, and *spoilers* I love that we get to see more of him in the next book but Japhrimel is probably my favorite main-side character. At least in the first book.

What else? Well, I will say that the fight scenes are great, the world is well detailed though a little confusing and the author did an amazing job with the story behind the story. Most books have a personal stake for the main character and sometimes they are… unbelievable to say the least, but this one I actually believed and understood.

The biggest thing that I didn't like is the way they represented the devil/Satan/Lucifer.  When I saw the title "Working for the Devil" I was expecting a partnership type relationship between the main character and the devil. I was excited to see how the author would create a Devil that the reader wanted to root for. I was disappointed when I didn't see that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment