Pages

Saturday 22 August 2015

Diary of a Gay Teenage Zombie by Justin MacCormack


4 out of 5 stars

I was given this book to review by the author.
Personally, I love novellas, short stories and novels. Each one has its benefit and this was the perfect novella. It took me about a weekend to read, while still doing other things, and that was just what I was hoping for from this book.

Diary of a Gay Teenage Zombie tells the story of, well, a gay zombie who is a teenager and his life. In all honesty it was quite close to a mundane life- but I liked that about the diary. It was nice to read a day to day diary of a zombie. I've always loved zombies and the history behind them so I thought the idea of this story was great! I also thought it was very well executed and a fun read. It was a light read, so some of you may not like that! Personally, I love a night light read about day to day life.
As far as the characters went, they were likeable for the most part. I would have liked to get to know them a little better but with diary format sometimes that is hard.
In all honesty, I was disappointed with some of Jay's choices. Though on some level I could understand them I just couldn't back them.
This story had an element that really drew me in. To me, this story had so much to do with accepting who you are. Maybe that wasn't what the author intended but it was what I took from it. Finding a way to make the bad good and finding a way to accept yourself and let people in.
Jay did some annoying things, I'm not going to lie about that, but I also think he did some teenage things. He acted like a teenager and that lead to some dumb choices- so you have to keep in mind that the character is a teenager, or at least I had to.
When it comes down to it this story was more than worth it.


On a final note, I would have liked to see more about the zombie virus- but that's okay because I fully expect to see more in this series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment