Pages

Friday 23 October 2015

Wickedly Wonderful by Deborah Blake

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

This is the second book in the Baba Yaga series. For anyone who remembers my review of the first book you will know how much I loved it! I coudln't wait to get my hands on this one but sadly it took me a lot longer than I wanted it to!

First I want to start off by saying that this cover is amazing. I absolutely love the first one as well. The fact that there are dogs in it make it even better!

This story focuses around Beka, one of the only three Baba Yagas in the US and her wonderful dragon disguised as a dog; Chewie.
Beka isn't quite like the Baba Yaga of the first one. She's much more bubbly in my opinion and a lot younger at that.
Part of what I love about this book is that it centers around Russian mythology. Now that being said I'm not Russian and have no attachment to it but I still adore it.
The plot of this book was simple. Help some Merpeople who were dying from someting unknown to them (though  as a reader it was easy to guess) all the while Beka was stuck with the sexy fisherman who seemed to butt heads with her at ever crossing.
Of course it does go without saying that Chewie is the best character. Because really what can beat a talking dragon disguised as a dragon who seems to have an obsession with s'mores!?
I actually think my biggest complaint about this book was that the dog wasn't in it enough! I'm sorry, I'm a dog person. I wanted more of him!
Other than that the book sadly didn't draw me in as much as the last one did. I'm not sure what it was, maybe I didn't connect with Beka as much as I did Baba, but I did really enjoy the book and couldn't put it down. I also loved the amount of conflict that was in this book. Everyone had conflict and that was great. You got to see each character grow by the end!
Speaking of the end... I can't say I was a huge fan of it. It seemed rushed; but this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of HFE endings which this kinda seemed to be.

I loved that characters from the last book popped up- quite a bit actually- and it really made me feel like I was in the same world. I loved seeing the Riders again and was thrilled to know that they were the same ones as the last book! I also love the fact that each book ends with another letter to another Baba Yaga, the one the next book will be about.
I hate that I have to wait until February for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment